Reef and Rainforest
Sea Kayaking/Cloud Forest Hiking
Can't decide whether to spend a week paddling on the reef or do an overland trip? You can do both! Spend a week splitting your time between our tropical garden island base and a remote cloud forest lodge nestled in the buffer zone around Pico Bonito National Park. You'll get a taste of paddling the magnificent coral reef around the mountainous Bay Islands of Honduras and visit a little known cloud-forest preserve on mainland Honduras to experience the warmth of its people.
Your trip begins and ends on the beautiful island of Roatan that receives direct flights from Houston (United), Miami (American) and Atlanta (Delta) every weekend. From our ocean front garden base we'll day trip to small cayes, mangroves, beaches and numerous reefs to learn to snorkel right out of your kayak. You can enjoy hiking jungle trails, paddle all day and return at night to clean sheets and a comfortable bed.
Our oceanfront base hangs out over the sea. Meals are served with an ocean view on the deck in the dining room or next to the ocean-view infinity pool. You can glide along in single or tandem sea kayaks over coral reefs, snorkel amidst the canyons and explore mangrove channels. Your guide is an ACA L-4 instructor and BCU coach, so you'll be assured of gaining new skills while there. You can even try out Stand-up paddleboarding (SUP) for a whole new perspective of walking on water.
The second half of your week takes us by ferry to La Ceiba and then up to the base of Pico Bonito, rising nearly 8000 ft. straight up from sea level. This is excellent habitat for nearly 200 species of birds, many feline species including Ocelots and Margays and the magnificent butterfly, the Blue Morpho. Enjoy hikes to incredible cascading waterfalls to swim in the pools beneath, whitewater rafting the beautiful Rio Congrejal and perhaps even take a night hike…when the jungle changes shifts and an entirely new world opens up. We promise that between the incredible hikes, the comfortable accommodations, the tasty meals and the magical environment, you'll never want to leave.
Dates for 2014
- Day 1, Arrival — Fly to Roatan where we pick you up and take you to our base at Punta Blanca.
- Days 2-4 — Each day will bring us something new, with flexible plans being made to fit the weather conditions and our desires. Our day trips may take us to mangrove channels, out to the Pigeon Cayes, snorkeling on coral reefs, learning to brace, roll and surf in 80 degree water, visiting with the locals in Helene village, or just hang in the hammock and watch the hummingbirds. Enjoy terrific seafood feasts each night and sleep in the comfort of comfortable bedrooms in our seaside house. Hey, how bad can that be?
- Day 5 — Transfer to the airport to catch the plane for the short hop to La Ceiba and the minibus to our friend Udo’s lodge next to Pico Bonito National Park. Once settled-in we'll head down the Rio Congrejal for an afternoon of Class III and IV whitewater rafting. After, we'll enjoy at great BBQ dinner at Udo and Sylvia's garden thatch Champa.
- Day 6 — Enjoy an early morning stroll to watch the jungle wake up, breakfast and then we'll get set to hike the waterfall trails and swim the waterfall pools. Our naturalist guide will interpret the tropical flora and fauna as we go. Back at the lodge, we'll clean up for an evening dinner and drinks next to the pool.
- Day 7 — Enjoy a lay-in morning, and after a leisurely breakfast, you'll have a choice of taking friendly river kayaks down to Cacao Lagoon’s brackish ecosystem or going on a horse trek along the beach with Sylvia. Tough choice….jungle mangrove paddling, incredible birds, tropical butterflies or Spanish horses with gentle passifino gaits, crossing streams and riding along Caribbean beaches….hmmmm.
- Day 8 — After breakfast, taxi to the early ferry to return to Roatan to connect with flights home.
- February 8-15
- February 22-29
- March 8-15
- March 22-29
$2500 per person based on double occupancy.
single supplement applies to those who want to ensure a private room; (Normal double occupancy price applies to those willing to share quarters in a room with two beds.)
Price Includes: all land costs (rooms, meals, guides, kayaks, local transport), except airport tax and gratuities. Deposit of $500 for reservation required, fully refundable until 45 days of departure. Balance is due at 45 days prior to departure.